Attention all AmeriCorps members! Interested in serving another year in AmeriCorps? Know someone who is? SRI is hiring TWO AmeriCorps VISTA School-Based Volunteer Program Coordinators, both positions starting this summer! Below see one of the service descriptions (my current position!); the other position is nearly identical, except serving at Slater Middle School in Pawtucket. If you’re interested in learning more about either of the positions, let me (Magali) know, and I’ll be glad to meet and talk about my job!
Position Title: School-Based Volunteer Program Coordinator VISTA
Site Name: Roger Williams Middle School, Providence, RI
Reports To: Director of Operations
Position Summary: The School-Based Volunteer Program Coordinator VISTA will be responsible for the development and implementation of a community and parent volunteer engagement program at Roger Williams Middle School, an urban RI middle school undergoing a transformation process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with SRI staff to develop and implement a volunteer program that will utilize parents, community members, and corporate volunteers, in ongoing and episodic opportunities, to support the educational process.
- Develop program policies and procedures manual working with SRI staff and school personnel that will be provided to all new volunteers. Topics covered include: volunteer applications and screening, sign in procedures, badging, documentation of hours, scheduling, supervision, and program evaluation.
- Create initial orientation and training as well as ongoing opportunities for continuing education and volunteer professional development.
- Identify needs for volunteers within the school and create volunteer opportunity descriptions for each position.
- Recruit, screen, match and place volunteers into opportunities at the school, working to target outreach to bring in the skills, talents and expertise to maximally support students in need at the school.
- Increase parent engagement within the middle school by promoting opportunities to volunteer in the school including direct service opportunities (i.e. working directly with students and with teachers supporting students) and indirect service opportunities (i.e. administrative, greeters, hallway monitors).
- Outreach to engage corporate volunteers willing to volunteer in the schools and/or participate in school transformation projects aimed at improving the physical learning environment.
- Design and conduct a program evaluation that includes both volunteers (ongoing and episodic) and school staff (i.e. teachers, administration, staff). Utilizing this evaluation data, draft and present an end of the year evaluation of the program, including offering suggestions for improving the program during its third year of operation.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for SRI events
- Assist with the mobilization and coordination of volunteers in times of disaster
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communications and organizational skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office products (MS Word, MS Outlook, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.)
- Use of a personal vehicle required
- Bilingual Spanish a plus
Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s of Arts/Science Degree preferred
- Experience in coordinating volunteers, program development or volunteering a plus
Terms and Conditions: AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program under the Corporation for National and Community Service designed specifically to fight poverty. The VISTA member commits to serve full-time for one full year at a nonprofit organization and receives an $11,676 stipend over that year. The VISTA is not eligible to hold down other employment during this national service year. Upon successful completion of the term of service, the VISTA is eligible to receive either an AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,550 or cash award $1,500.
How To Apply:
Interested candidates can apply through the AmeriCorps website at: www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps
Choose Advanced Search, Program Type select: AmeriCorps*VISTA, State select: Rhode Island.
The listing can be found at: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=43925&fromSearch=true